We just love chili – and the famous Pioneer Woman white chicken chili is a hearty and satisfying dish that puts a wonderful spin on a traditional chili recipe.
You can make it as mild or as hot as you like, topping it with homemade guacamole and serving warm corn tortillas on the side to create a meal you’ll want to cook over and over again.
This chicken chili also tastes great served with cornbread – this Jalapeño Skillet Cornbread tastes incredible and comes together in under half an hour!
What is white chicken chili?
Unlike traditional chili, this chili is made with white beans and chicken, in lieu of the traditional beef and tomatoes.
The beans and chicken are mixed with an amazing blend of chicken broth, herbs and spices to produce a dish with just the right amount of heat for the whole family to enjoy.
This recipe also includes milk, producing a lovely, creamy dish that really hits the spot on those cooler evenings!
An easy meal for a busy weeknight
The fact that this recipe is made with cooked chicken makes it ideal for those busy weeknights.
You can simply add the chicken to a pot, add the vegetables and leave everything bubbling away while you get on with other things!
You can either use chicken that you cooked earlier and saved, or you can simply grab a rotisserie chicken instead.
Once all the ingredients are in the pot there’s not much to do other than inhale all the wonderful aromas and look forward to dinner-time!
What sort of beans to use in white chicken chili
White beans are traditional, but feel free to experiment and find out what your family prefers! Pinto beans work well too, or you could even try chickpeas.
You can also try using canned beans instead of dried, which will require a much shorter cooking time – but there’s something so satisfying about cooking your beans from scratch!
The texture is definitely better, they add a lot of flavor…and the fact that dried beans are around a third of the price of canned makes them a great choice too!
Pioneer Woman White Chicken Chili
The Pioneer Woman’s White Chicken Chili makes a satisfying and comforting meal and is full of flavor.
- 3 Cooked Chicken shredded
- 1 Onion diced
- 4 Garlic minced
- 2 Green Chiles chopped
- 16 Great Northern Beans (dried) rinsed
- 8 Chicken Broth
- 1 Jalapeño sliced
- 1.5 Ground Cumin
- 0.5 Paprika
- 0.5 Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
- 1 Whole Milk
- 2 Cornmeal
- 0.5 Monterrey Jack Cheese or to taste
- Sour Cream for garnish
- 1 Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Saute the onions and garlic in a dutch oven medium-high heat for around 2 minutes.
- Add the rinsed beans and chopped green chiles, then pour in the chicken broth.
- Add the sliced jalapenos and season with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Cover, turn the heat to low and cook for 2 hours, until the beans are done. Add the 3 cups of cooked chicken halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the beans are done, mix the cornmeal with the milk and add it to the chili.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, until thickened.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, adding cayenne pepper and paprika if required.
- Add the desired amount of Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir until melted.
- Serve in a bowl, garnished with cilantro, sour cream and extra cheese, with rolled up warm corn tortillas on the side. Pico de gallo and guacamole also make great accompaniments, if available.
Calories: 406.06kcalCarbohydrates: 43.56gProtein: 28.38gFat: 9.94gSaturated Fat: 3.69gSodium: 1507.75mgFiber: 12.13gSugar: 2g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!