What did you look most forward to when you decided to have kids?
For me it was pretty simple, yet it’s something I’m finding incredibly hard to achieve in reality: Celebrating the everyday. Celebrating the year. Diving into the NOW.
Making up our own routines to celebrate the little things day after day: Maybe a small song or a certain prayer before mealtimes. A cuddly bedtime routine. A special goodbye hug.
Making holidays magical. Cherishing the seasons. Cherishing golden autumn.
I imagined sitting on the porch in the golden light, drinking hot apple cider and eating pumpkin waffles with smiling kids beside me.
In reality, the rush of the everyday is often in the way of taking a step back to create special memories. And before I know it, pumpkins will have vanished from the stores in favor of gingerbread and candy canes — and I will not have made a single pumpkin pancake.
This year I’m going to cheat my way out of missing fall with my kids. Because brace yourself, my friend. I’m putting pumpkin into everything, every day, everywhere.
These pumpkin breakfast cookies are the perfect example: They’re healthy (as in, healthy-healthy – just like my favorite pumpkin oatmeal), so they’re useful for anything from a rushed on-the-go breakfast, as part of routinely meal prep, healthy snacking or as a conservative lunchbox treat.
Making them is actually not an act of leisure, but a pretty adult and responsible decision.
So you will not even have to decide between being the routine-driven grown-up and the crazy person obsessing over all things fall.
I’m sure you’ll love these healthy breakfast cookies just as much as we do. They’re freezer-friendly, but they also keep pretty well in an airtight container — so you can always have some on hand during the season.
And finally they allow you to light up the sometimes-mundane parts of everyday motherhood routines with autumnal glow — lumos!
Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies Recipe
- 1.5 Quick Oats
- 0.5 Old Fashioned Oats
- 0.66 Dried Cranberries
- 0.33 Pumpkin Seeds
- 0.33 Chopped Pecans
- 2 Chia Seeds
- 2 Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 0.25 Salt
- 3 Coconut Oil melted
- 0.33 Pure Maple Syrup
- 0.5 Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Egg beaten
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat OR parchment paper.
- Stir together both kinds of oats, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, pecans, ground chia, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Scoop the dough with a 3-tablespoon cookie scoop onto the prepare cookie sheet. Flatten with wet fingers (the cookies won’t change shape during baking).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on the cookie sheet before storing in an airtight container.