My love/hate relationship with summer can get a little complicated at times.
Sure…there are days when the kiddos fight over cupcake crumbs and who touched who’s sock…but there are also long lazy nights around the pool and spur of the moment cook-outs with friends.
Said cook-outs usually involve cocktails and laughs and the kids running around the yard out of our hair. And I’m definitely not mad about that.
I used to stress over entertaining – homemade everything, a carefully planned menu – but I have since learned that it’s really about the company. It sounds cheesy, but it’s so true.
Some of our most memorable nights have been when I’ve ran to the store for hot dogs, chips, a few sides, and threw it all on the table so we could enjoy our company without running ourselves crazy.
A dessert is always a must for such an evening, and I almost always have a variety of cake mixes on hand for the occasion.
Rocky road is one of my favorite ice cream flavors, and seeing that it’s summer, the idea for rocky road bars hit me. Chocolate, marshmallow, and peanuts – can you ever go wrong with that?
If there are allergies (or picky kiddos), just swap out the peanuts for some M&Ms and you’re good to go.
You won’t believe how easy and yummy these bars are! They’ll be in your regular rotation in no time. Enjoy!
Rocky Road Bars Recipe
- 1 Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 0.25 Salted Butter melted
- 1 Egg
- 0.33 Water
- 2 Pure Vanilla Extract
- Miniature Marshmallows
- 1 Dry Roasted Salted Peanuts finely chopped
- 1 Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 Salted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter, egg, water, and vanilla. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Immediately upon removing pan from oven, sprinkle evenly with mini marshmallows and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until marshmallows are puffy but not toasted.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and butter in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth. Drizzle over bars.
- Chill until firm. Slice and serve.