Do you guys have those certain food items that simply cannot be in your presence due to the fact that you’ll shove them into your face at breakneck speed? Yeah, Rolos are one of those items for me. Within a matter of minutes, I’ll find myself in a sugar coma with chocolate-coated fingertips surrounded by a sea of gold foil wrappers. It’s a problem.
I’m a total sucker for anything with the word caramel in it, and the fact that Rolos are also super cute and tiny definitely doesn’t help matters.
Since I lack any sort of self-control when in the presence of those little bites of caramel bliss, I rarely purchase them – unless of course I’m using them for recipe development. In which case it’s totally acceptable because it’s all in the name of research. I’m that dedicated, guys.
I’ve been on a cookie bar kick lately and since you might already know that I love stuffing candy into baked goods, Rolo cookie bars seemed totally natural. I mean I’ve already stuffed them into chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes, so why not cookie bars, right?
The beauty of baking cookie bars is that they are truly no-fuss. Ya toss everything into a bowl, mix it up and about 20 minutes later you have ooey-gooey cookie bars filled with caramel candies.
You can cut them into squares, use a cookie cutter for circular shapes, or create fun cookies sticks that are perfect for dunking into an ice-cold glass of milk. And if you’re feeling a little fancy-schmancy, go ahead drizzle them with a little melted chocolate or caramel – or both, because why the heck not? It honestly doesn’t get much easier or delicious.
For more cookie bar inspiration be sure to check out these Nutella Cookie Bars and these 7 Layer Bars from Food Fanatic – you’re sure to be in cookie bar heaven!
Rolo Cookie Bars Recipe
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.5 Baking Powder
- 0.25 Baking Soda
- 0.5 Salt
- 0.33 Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1 Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Egg
- 2 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.5 Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 16 Rolo Candy Unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8×8-inch baking pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mixing until well combined. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread half the dough into the prepared pan. Place the Rolos evenly onto the cookie dough. Using a small cookie scoop, evenly distribute the rest of the cookie dough on top of the Rolos. There is need to spread evenly over the Rolos, this will happen naturally during the baking process.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate or caramel before serving.