Get ready for your new favorite one-pot meal recipe! This recipe for sausage and peppers pasta is delicious, and your family will be gobbling it up and requesting seconds (and thirds).
The idea of a one pot sausage and peppers pasta came about when I wanted to make sausage and peppers for dinner, but didn’t feel like cooking for hours and making a mess in the kitchen. I love to grill sausage and peppers, but then I tend to still have to make pasta or my Italian-style white beans as a side.
Baking Italian sausage can take a long time too. I did a little brainstorming and felt that I needed to make the classic sausage and peppers into a one-pot meal.
So here is what I did to turn the classic sausage and peppers into a one pot meal. I cut the mild sausage links into bite size pieces – it allows the sausage to cook quickly.
And while the sausage is cooking I chopped up the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
After the vegetables have started to sweat and soften, I added in all the seasonings and a can of crushed tomatoes.
Give it a good mix, then add in the pasta. Mix again and cover with a lid and let the pasta cook right into the sauce.
I love that the pasta not only absorbs the sauce but you get the deep flavors from the caramelized Italian sausage.
I’ve made this recipe over a dozen times, perfecting it each and every time. I’ve even entertained with this recipe, and our family loved it.
Everyone went back for seconds. Our moms were shocked that I was cooking the pasta right in the sauce.
Once they tasted it, I think they were instantly intrigued and are ready to start trying more one-pot pasta recipes!
Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal (with leftovers for lunch the next day) or need a quick dish to entertain with, I hope you’ll give my one pot sausage and peppers pasta a try!
Pair this one pot meal with a fantastic salad! Try Julia’s Mediterranean quinoa salad or Jennifer’s tomato goat cheese salad.
Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe
- 1 Olive Oil
- 4 Mild Sausage Link Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Multi-Colored Bell Pepper Chopped
- 0.5 White Onion Chopped
- 0.5 Baby Portabello Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Minced Garlic
- 0.5 Salt
- 0.25 Black Pepper
- 28 Crushed Tomatoes (Canned)
- 1 Water
- 1 Dried Parsley
- 2 Dried Basil
- 1 Granulated Sugar
- 3 Penne Dry
- Parmesan Cheese For serving
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and 1-inch mild sausage slices.
- Cook on medium for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add in the bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, water (swirl water in can to remove any additional sauce), dried parsley, dried basil, and sugar.
- Mix well, then add in the 3 cups of dried penne pasta. Mix well until all pasta is covered.
- Place a lid on the sauté pan and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir once during the cooking time. Pasta should be al dente (cook 2 additional minutes for fully cooked pasta).
- Top pasta with parmesan cheese.