The holidays are over and all my decorations are put away. January and February are here for a while and I am not thrilled about it.
These months always seem the longest for me, especially since the last few years have been tough winters.
We were stuck in the house quite a bit last year, but there were also the cold nights where I am chauffeuring my kids around to their activities. When this occurs, everyone wants a warm comforting meal, and they want it quick.
An easy skillet of spicy sausage and white beans served over rice is just the thing to make for dinner.
Since I overindulged during the holidays, January is the time to start eating better. So I lightened this recipe up by using spicy chicken sausage.
You can use any type of smoked sausage that you like, but a lean chicken or turkey sausage is always my choice.
The beans and tomatoes make it hearty, but they are ingredients that are good for you. I love the nuttiness of brown rice, and I always keep several boxes of frozen brown rice in my freezer.
It’s healthy, and I love the fact that it can be ready in a few minutes with just the push of a microwave button.
This simple dish can be served with a salad to complete your dinner. When I am really feeling healthy, I make a detox kale salad but I also love my spinach salad with grapes, blue cheese and almonds in the winter too.
This recipe is very adaptable, and while I used white beans, kidney beans or black beans would work in this recipe.
Comfort food doesn’t have to pack on the calories! You can have a hearty meal that is also quite healthy.
For more healthy comfort food dinner ideas, check out these recipes:
What is your favorite healthy comfort food dish?
Sausage and White Bean Skillet Recipe
- 2 Olive Oil
- 0.5 Sweet Peppers Chopped (red, green, or yellow work)
- 12 Smoked Turkey Sausage Or chicken sausage
- 1 Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
- 1 White Beans Rinsed and drained
- 0.5 Smoked Paprika
- 0.5 Onion Powder
- 1 Chicken Broth
- 0.25 Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Salt To taste
- Hot Sauce To taste
- 3 Cooked Rice Hot (brown or white)
- In a large skillet pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add peppers and cook until wilted.
- Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, paprika, onion powder and broth to the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat. Remove cover and simmer for another 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Mix in the chopped parsley right before it is done cooking. Save a little to garnish the serving plate.
- Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. Serve with rice and garnish with remaining parsley.