Summer is in full swing and in my neck of the woods, that means cookouts every single weekend. I’m not kidding. Our family can always find a reason to gather around the grill, cook up some mouth watering food, and maybe swim a few laps.
And by ‘swim a few laps’, I mean hanging near the edge of the pool, sipping fresh mango margaritas and trying to avoid all of the splashing kids so my hair doesn’t frizz beyond recognition. Is that just me?
For any good cookout or outside summer party, I love to have an array of snacks to munch on while the main course is getting grilled up. Whether it’s my favorite BBQ Chicken Wings or this beyond addictive Mexican Layer Dip, I can’t attend a cookout empty handed. Me, show up without food? Never.
Mexican Layer Dip is one of my all time favorite summer time party snacks. It’s spicy, creamy and filling without being too heavy. My version of Mexican Layer Dip is a spin on The Pioneer Woman’s Mexican Dip, complete with fresh pico de gallo and chunky guacamole.
To keep my swim suits from becoming objects of torture, I lightened up my Mexican Layer Dip with fat free refried beans, reduced fat cheese and fat free sour cream. I like to serve it with baked tortilla chips to complete this light-ish version of a summertime classic.
You can even split this recipe up onto two smaller plates – one to put poolside and one to be inside with the rest of the buffet. Your friends will thank you.
Seven Layer Dip Recipe
Seven Layer Dip makes any occasion a party! Try it with spicy chips like Doritos for an extra kick.
- 1 Fat Free Refried Beans (Rosarita)
- 4 Green Chiles diced
- 0.25 Cumin
- 0.125 Coriander Powder
- 0.5 Red Chili Powder
- 0.25 Garlic Powder
- 1 Hot Sauce
- 5 Plum Tomato diced
- 1 Jalapeño seeds removed and minced
- 0.25 Red Onion minced
- 1 Fresh Lime Juice
- 0.25 Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 Avocado peeled and pits removed
- 4 Fresh Lime Juice
- 0.5 Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 0.5 Shredded Reduced Fat Monterey Jack Cheese (Organic Valley)
- 0.33 Fat Free Sour Cream
- 0.25 Black Olives
- 2 Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Pico de Gallo
- In a skillet set over medium heat, add refried beans, diced green chilies, cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic powder and hot sauce. Stir together and allow flavors to meld and warm through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all of the pico de gallo ingredients (tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, lime, salt and cilantro) and set aside.
- In a second medium size bowl, mash avocados with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add 1 cup of the pico de gallo mixture and the juice of two limes and mix well to combine.
- Spread the refried bean mixture evenly over a medium sized platter with slightly rimmed edges. Then layer the ingredients in the following order on top of the beans, making sure to spread each layer evenly over the top of the previous:
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- jack cheese
- black olives
- 1 cup of pico de gallo
- chopped cilantro
Calories: 137.61kcalCarbohydrates: 12.11gProtein: 5.61gFat: 7.08gSaturated Fat: 1.85gSodium: 382.41mgFiber: 5.15gSugar: 1.11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!