When the weather finally gets hot, the very last thing I will do is turn on my oven. It’s difficult enough to cool a home in Florida during the dog days of summer. I typically opt for either the grill or my slow cooker.
I was craving barbecue pulled chicken sandwiches and decided to give it a try in my slow cooker. By mixing chicken broth and a little bit of the barbecue sauce, it gave the chicken just enough juice to cook for a few hours. Then, once the chicken was done, I placed the chicken in a large bowl and began pulling the chicken using two forks. After all the chicken was pulled, I poured on the remaining barbecue sauce from the pot.
Then I toasted the buns, placed a healthy serving a pulled chicken on the buns, and topped it off with crunchy coleslaw. I love making my own mandarin orange coleslaw; however, any coleslaw would work for the recipe. I can easily eat two or three of these sandwiches in one sitting. And the best part is that this recipe can make 12 servings out of just four chicken breasts!
Don’t worry if you don’t plan on entertaining with this recipe. You can freeze the leftovers or make a few more meals out of it, like stuffed sweet potatoes and BBQ chicken pizza! Trust me, you will not have any problem eating all of this shredded barbecue chicken.
And of course, you can always reduce the amount of chicken breast. I wouldn’t suggest reducing the liquid portion, just maybe the final addition of barbecue sauce. Of course, if you like it saucy, add as much barbecue sauce as your heart desires. That’s what is great about this recipe… you can add as little or as much barbecue (and your favorite barbecue sauce) of your choice!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Chicken Broth
- 2 Honey Barbecue Sauce (KC Masterpiece) Divided
- 12 Hamburger Bun
- 3 Coleslaw
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breast.
- Mix the chicken broth and 1/2 cup of Honey Barbecue sauce together. Pour in the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker. Flip chicken breast multiple times to coat the tops of the breasts.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Pull each one using two forks. Pour the remaining 1-1/2 cups on the pulled chicken and mix well.
- Toast hamburger buns, place 1/2 cup of pulled chicken on each bun and a quarter cup of coleslaw, top with bun and enjoy.