We love stuffed peppers in our house. To me it’s comfort food. Growing up my mom made the ground beef and rice variety at least once a month. Over the past few years I’ve experimented and made a wide variety of stuffed pepper recipes from a vegetarian couscous version to my chicken enchilada stuffed peppers.
I always make extra shredded chicken taco meat in my slow cooker. Instead of freezing the leftovers I decided to reinvent the leftovers into something different and thus slow cooker shredded chicken taco stuffed peppers were born. The best of both worlds… comfort food; stuffed pepper and savory Mexican food.
I made these stuffed peppers a few days after making the shredded chicken. I gave my family a wide variety of other dinners to enjoy, and then I reintroduced the leftover flavorful shredded chicken taco meat back to them. I think that’s key when you are repurposing leftovers.
I don’t think anyone would turn down a taco, in stuffed pepper form or otherwise, but leftovers can sometimes feel a bit tiresome. Not when you change up the flavors! It’s an easy way to repurpose your meals, without a lot of effort. Especially when you’re using your slow cooker for the second meal too.
I also used my slow cooker to cook these stuffed peppers, rather than the oven. Growing up, I can remember my mom boiling water and par-cooking the peppers before stuffing them and baking them. So time consuming–that’s why the slow cooker is ideal. No need to boil peppers then stuff and bake. Instead, mix your filling, stuff, and place the peppers in a slow cooker with a cup of water. The steam will cook your peppers to be fork tender and the filling will be piping hot. Top cheese on the peppers and that too will melt to perfection! You can still enjoy all the flavors of a chicken taco, but switch it up and stuff it in a bell pepper!
It’s Taco Week on Food Fanatic sponsored by KitchenIQ. Follow along, make your own, and make sure to share them with us on Twitter and Facebook using #TacoWeek.
Disclosure: This post used to feature a giveaway provided to you by KitchenIQ. It is now over. The views and opinions expressed by contributors on Food Fanatic are based entirely upon the contributor’s experiences with KitchenIQ products.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 3 Cooked White Rice
- 2 Plum Tomato Guts removed and diced
- 2.25 Sliced Black Olives Drained, 1 can
- 2 Fresh Cilantro Minced
- 2 Mexican Style Shredded Cheese Divided
- 6 Multi-Colored Bell Pepper
- In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken taco meat, cooked white rice, diced tomatoes, olives, fresh cilantro, and one cup shredded Mexican cheese. Mix well and set to the side.
- Fill the slow cooker with 1/3 cup water.
- Rinse bell peppers, and then cut around the tops of the bell peppers removing the seeds and stem. Carefully begin filling the bell peppers with the chicken-rice mixture. Place stuffed bell peppers in the slow cooker. Top with remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Cook on low for 5 hours. Remove bell peppers from slow cooker and serve with sliced avocado, salsa, and sour cream.