Why are cans of pumpkin puree so darn big? At the store, nestled between cherry pie filling and canned pears they seem reasonably sized. But crack one open for a batch of whole wheat mini pumpkin donuts and soon you’re living in Pumpkin Purgatory.
The 3 ounces of pumpkin needed for your must-have freshly baked donuts barely made a dent in that enormous can. Not one to waste food you’ve been stirring pumpkin into your morning oatmeal and whipping up pumpkin spice lattes. But Oh-My-Gosh there’s stilllllll more pumpkin left!
Eventually, you whittle it down to a few tablespoons. Just the right amount for some small batch pumpkin spice cookies that are light and crispy outside, fluffy inside and full of pumpkin pie spiced flavor.
Organic brown sugar gives these whole grain cookies a more complex molasses flavor that pairs nicely with the pumpkin and spices. Traditional light brown sugar is an okay substitute but for the best results use dark brown sugar instead.
Once you’ve got your sugar sorted out the soft cookie dough comes together in minutes and requires no chilling. Ideal for satisfying late-night sweets cravings or throwing together when unexpected holiday guests drop by. You can easily customize your cookies too with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, orange zest or dark chocolate chunks.
And there’s no good reason to heat up your big oven for a small batch of cookies right? Use your toaster oven instead! It will preheat super fast meaning you can enjoy freshly baked cookies in no time.
We love to finish our cookies with a drizzle of melted white chocolate or sprinkled with turbinado sugar before baking for an extra sweet crunch. They’ll taste delicious any way you make them and that darn can of pumpkin will finally be EMPTY!
Small Batch Pumpkin Spice Cookies Recipe
- 3 Unsalted Butter Softened
- 0.33 Packed Brown Sugar
- 3 Pumpkin Puree
- 0.25 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 0.5 White Whole Wheat Flour Or all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 0.25 Baking Soda
- 0.75 Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 0.125 Fine Sea Salt
- 2 White Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your toaster oven to 375°F and lightly grease your cookie sheet or line with a silpat.
- In a medium bowl beat together the butter and brown sugar using a hand-mixer until light and fluffy (1 to 2 mins). Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla and egg yolk. Set mixer to a low speed and add flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt mixing just until combined.
- Drop dough by 1 1/2 tablespoon scoops onto prepared cookie sheet at least 1-inch apart (cookies will spread while baking).
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes until the cookies are set with lightly browned edges. Cool cookies for 3 minutes on sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- While cookies cool place white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave chips on high for 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled cookies and enjoy.