These spicy tortilla roll up appetizers are perfect for your next party or potluck. I made them very unintentionally but I’m so glad that I did. Actually, I was going to take the easy route and just buy some samosas. You’re probably thinking that this food blogger is a slacker right? Well, yes, sometimes I have to take the easy way out too. So what?
This month has been crazy busy! Between baseball games, piano lessons, birthday parties and home projects, there has barely been time to cook food, let alone make some marvelous dessert. So when it was time to go to our friends’ Memorial Day potluck, I quickly said I would bring Costco samosas. That’s right! Costco sells frozen cocktail samosas, and they are fabulous!
I know I’m always talking about fresh food. Don’t get me wrong, my homemade mini vegetable samosas are definitely better. However, even I have moments when I know its just not going to happen. Actually it got so crazy that I did not even get to Costco in time. FYI, they are not open on Memorial Day!
So I made these spicy roll ups instead. I didn’t have to buy any groceries, they were easy to prep, and a big hit! See? Party food does not have to be complicated and can still be home made. These bite-sized rollups are a wonderful blend of textures and spices. Oh ,and if you aren’t slacking like me, then you can easily make it ahead of time too. Just prep and wrap the whole roll in plastic, store in the refrigerator and slice before serving.
You should also know that the key to this recipe is adding lots of hot spices. Add as much ancho, jalapeño, and cayenne as you can handle. I always taste my fresh jalapeños just to make sure they are actually spicy. Sometimes they can taste just like a regular green bell peppers. Be sure to taste and check if you have a hot one or else it’s just not fun. So make it spicy and enjoy!
Spicy Tortilla Roll Ups Recipe
- 4 Flour Tortilla
- 0.66 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
- 0.75 Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 0.25 Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 0.5 Ancho Chili Powder
- 0.25 Garlic Salt
- 0.25 Ground Cumin
- 0.25 Allspice
- 0.25 Minced Onion
- 3 Chives Minced
- 0.75 Bell Pepper
- 1 Diced Tomatoes
- 0.25 Minced Fresh Jalapeño
- Combine the cheese and dry spices in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Toss the chives and veggies together in another bowl.
- Using a sieve, gently push out any excess water from the vegetable mixture. This will keep the tortilla from getting too soggy.
- Spread a 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture onto a tortilla, covering the whole surface.
- Spread a 1/4 of the veggie mixture over the cream cheese.
- Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can from one edge to another.
- Trim the ends of the roll off. Cut the rest into 1/2 inch slices.
- Repeat steps 4-7 for the remaining 3 tortillas.