“Okay, I’ll eat beforehand.”
These are the VERY, EXACT words that Mr. FFF DARED to utter to me when I told him that we were having this interesting (but VRY VRY DELICIOUS) flavor combination in a ground turkey skillet recipe form for dinner.
You would think that after some of the weird-o sounding recipe creations I’ve served him (strawberry rhubarb healthy chicken stir fry, I’m looking at you) that he ALSO questioned, and then LOVED, he would be used to these ideas by now.
You might be sort of siding with him on this one. Maybe you’re thinking that we’re onto something with the sweet strawberries and tangy balsamic vinegar, but paired with cauliflower and turkey? IN A ONE PAN MEAL WHERE YOU PUT ALL THOSE FLAVORS TOGETHER IN YOUR MOUTH AT ONCE?
Uhm. NO. That doesn’t really rank high when you think about ALL THE THINGS to make with ground turkey in the universe that you could be making instead.
But, my doubting little internet friends, I say to you: “UHM. YES.”
Yes, yes and MORE YES. As much YES as you can possibly imagine in your thinking-brain is what you should be saying about this Strawberry Balsamic Paleo Cauliflower Rice Ground Turkey Skillet.
Strawberries and balsamic vinegar is one of the magical little food combos that sounds kind of weird on the outside, but on the inside of your face (ie: your mouth) it makes PERFECT sense.
Case in point: strawberry balsamic shredded chicken tacos.
The thick, tangy balsamic reduction coats each naturally sweet strawberry, creating the most delightful of food marriages inside your hungry belly. It’s a little sweet, a little savory, and a WHOLE lot of delicious.
You’re tracking with me so far.
So, let’s add some cauliflower rice into the mix.
Think of this skillet of healthy, wholesome yumminess like a cauliflower rice caprese, with a fruity-spring-strawberry twist.
It’s got the basil and balsamic reduction. We’re just doing a little 1-2-switch-eroo and using seasonal produce for a little pop of sweetness and nixing the dairy. Sidenote: if you aren’t dairy free, I think some goat cheese would be REALLLL niceeeee.
Tender-crisp asparagus, superfood spinach and peppery arugula round out the seasonal goodness bursting from this super-simple-weeknight dinner, while some ground turkey adds a little protein PUNCH to keep your tummy full and happy.
In the post-trying-this-recipe words of the hubs “it feels very HEARTY and filling, but also really light and fresh at the same time.”
His words, continued “Yeah. I really REALLY like this.”
*Pops my collar* I win.
This is the kind of dinner that you could serve on a busy weeknight, when you need something YUMMY on the table FAST, orrrr on one of those date-nights-in where you feel like you SHOULD be making that special someone in your life a fancy meal, but all you REALLY wanna do is eat pizza and drink wine on the couch and watch Netflix.
Don’t lie. Those are your real-life-thought-processes too.
Pro tip: Quick and easy, fancy turkey skillet = less time cooking = more time for binge watching.
You know I always have your best interests (and health) in mind.
Strawberry Balsamic Paleo Cauliflower Rice Ground Turkey Skillet Recipe
- 0.33 Balsamic Vinegar
- 1.5 Honey
- 1.5 Olive Oil divided
- 1 Lean Ground Turkey
- 4 Cauliflower cut into bite-size florets
- 1 Asparagus roughly chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 Strawberries thinly sliced, 160 grams
- 6 Spinach and Arugula Mix packed
- 0.5 Fresh Basil thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- In a small pot, combine the balsamic vinegar and honey on medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, until it reduces by about half and coats the back of a spoon, about 6 minutes**. Pour into a bowl and let stand on the counter to thicken, stirring occasionally (or place in the refrigerator to thicken if you’re making the rest of the dish right away.)
- Place the cauliflower into a food processor and process until broken down and “rice-like.” Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet on medium/high heat. Add in the turkey and cook until golden brown, draining off the excess fat.
- Once cooked, add in the remaining oil, along with the rice cauliflower and asparagus. Cook until the cauliflower rice begins to turn golden and the asparagus is tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the strawberries and spinach and arugula mix, stirring until the mix begins to wilt.
- Stir in the fresh basil and season to taste with salt.
- Divide between 4 plates, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.