I’m so excited to share a new one-pot pasta recipe with you today. I was doing my quarterly cleaning out of the pantry when I found a jar of sun-dried tomato pasta sauce. That’s when I got the idea– I knew I wanted to make some sort of sun-dried tomato pasta. And thus this recipe for sun-dried tomato chicken ziti skillet was born.
I love using rotisserie chicken for pasta recipes – it makes the cooking process go much quicker. This pasta is packed with tons of fresh veggies, so I feel that it makes the “cream” portion not so bad! And of course this dinner only gets better the next day once the sauce has really soaked into the pasta overnight.
I used a combination of a sun-dried tomato sauce plus smoked sun-dried tomatoes. I really wanted to be able to taste the sun-dried tomatoes. This recipe was a nice switch from my normal pasta recipes. I rarely ever use sun-dried tomatoes, yet I have them always on hand.
In my constant quest to diversify our dinners — this pasta was a big hit. And the recipe makes a lot of pasta. The key to a solid one-pot pasta is a very large pot. I’m in love with my new jumbo sauté pan. It’s light weight, easy to clean, and is oven safe up to 430°F!
The night I served up this pasta we invited our neighbor over for dinner. I knew I was going to have plenty, and that I did. The three of us each had large bowls, plus we went back for seconds and we still had two really large bowls leftover. So without seconds I would say we would have had three large bowls leftover! That’s what I love about one-pot pasta meals. They are easy to make and make a lot of food. Serve this pasta with my cheesy artichoke bread!
Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 1 Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Unsalted Butter
- 0.5 White Onion Diced
- 1 Garlic Minced
- 1 Chopped White Mushrooms
- 0.5 Asparagus Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Sun-dried Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 2 Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Ziti Pasta
- 2 Rotisserie Chicken Cubed
- 2 Fresh Spinach Chopped
- 0.5 Heavy Cream
- 0.5 Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1 Fresh Parsley Chopped
- In a large skillet, melt the unsalted butter and the grape seed oil together on high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute then reduce the heat to medium and add in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly, then add in the sliced mushrooms, asparagus and the sun-dried tomato sauce.
- Mix well and add in the chicken broth, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to medium.
- Add in pasta and cook for 10 minutes with lid on (stir every few minutes to avoid burning and sticking).
- Once pasta is done turn the heat off to the burner. Stir in the rotisserie chicken and spinach. Then add in the heavy cream, grated Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, then serve.