Welcome to day three of Taco Week!
I did a little happy dance when I received my taco invite over the summer. Okay, it was a full on jig. Can you blame me—all tacos, all week! That’s something to get excited about.
My contribution to Taco Week is vegetarian sweet potato and black bean tacos drizzled with a chipotle crema. Honestly, it doesn’t have to be all meat, all the time.
Since it’s officially fall, what better way to celebrate than with a fall-inspired taco? These tacos are full of perfectly crisp sweet potatoes seasoned with smoky cumin, chili powder, and sweet, smoked paprika. I added diced red peppers to the mix for a burst of sweet pepper flavor.
Let’s not forget about the taco toppings, because, as we all know, it’s all about the toppings. I sprinkled these tacos with diced red onion, fresh torn cilantro, and a drizzle of chipotle crema. It’s a taco of epic proportions.
These tacos are super easy to make. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, chop some red peppers, open and drain a can of black beans, chop some cilantro and red onion, and measure out some spices. Cook the sweet potatoes with the diced red pepper and spices. Mix up the crema (three simple ingredients) and slap it all together on a soft shell tortilla.
Boom, you have yourself a taco dinner! Add a side of seasoned rice and refried beans, and your dinner just got epic.
How many tacos can you take down in one sitting? I’ll go first: three. If I’m really hungry, or, say, competing in a taco competition (true story), then ten.
That night, I was a taco-eating machine. I was also ten years younger and perpetually starving. If you asked me to eat ten tacos today, I would probably go into a taco coma.
For these tacos, I might just try.
It’s Taco Week on Food Fanatic sponsored by KitchenIQ. Follow along, make your own, and make sure to share them with us on Twitter and Facebook using #TacoWeek.
Disclosure: This post used to feature a giveaway provided to you by KitchenIQ. It is now over. The views and opinions expressed by contributors on Food Fanatic are based entirely upon the contributor’s experiences with KitchenIQ products.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos Recipe
- 2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Sweet Potato peeled and diced (or 2 large)
- 1 Red Pepper diced
- 0.5 Ground Cumin
- 0.25 Ancho Chili Powder
- 0.25 Coriander Powder
- 0.25 Dried Oregano
- 1 Black Beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 0.33 Sour Cream preferably full fat
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo chopped (roughly 1 pepper)
- 0.5 Fresh Lime Juice
- 12 Flour Tortilla or corn tortillas
- 0.5 Red Onion
- 0.5 Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Taco Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add diced sweet potatoes and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add diced red pepper and spices to the pan with the sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. If the pan gets dry and you notice your potatoes starting to stick, add an extra drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in black beans. Cook for 1 minute to warm them through.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- Add a generous amount of the sweet potato and black bean filling to your soft tortilla shell.
- Top with diced red onion, a pinch of chopped cilantro, and chipotle crema.
- Serve with hot sauce. Repeat until full.