They say it’s best to have a serving of protein after hitting the gym. Your muscles are primed and ready for building and repairing and therefore need the resources. My daily post workout snack is usually a bowl of yogurt or scrambled egg whites. Every now and then the morning routine runs a little late and before I realize it, it’s lunch time! At that point, yogurt isn’t going to cut it. This curried tofu wrap is the perfect solution for a tasty protein packed lunch or breakfast after a hard workout.
So why tofu and not eggs? Well, sometimes I just need to change things up. As a vegetarian, I always think it’s a good idea to vary your protein sources. (or I need to save the eggs for whatever baking project I have going on that day!) If you’re vegan, this is also a great alternative to scrambled eggs.
I won’t pretend that it tastes anything like scrambled eggs. It just sort of looks like it once you crumble the tofu and add the turmeric to get the yellow color. The onions, cumin, and curry powder provide enough flavor that you won’t miss the eggs. In fact, you will likely feel pretty good about replenishing your body with something so healthy and delicious. Don’t forget the fact that turmeric isn’t just for color. It’s known for it’s anti-inflammatory benefits as well.
It’s also ridiculously easy to make. It’s a quick 5 minute prep with 5 minutes of cook time in one pan. Toss it into your favorite flavored wrap with whatever else you want, roll it up and enjoy. I like to have it with spinach and tomato in these habanero flavored wraps for a little extra kick. Oh and don’t forget the cilantro chutney. You can’t go wrong pairing this condiment with this Indian flavored filling.
Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 1 Olive Oil
- 2 Jalapeño minced
- 1 Onion diced
- 14 Firm Tofu drained and pressed
- 0.5 Curry Powder
- 0.25 Turmeric
- 0.5 Ground Cumin
- 6 Flour Tortilla 8-inch
- 0.5 Tomato diced
- 2 Baby Spinach
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and onions. Stir and cook until the onions soften.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and mix it well with the onions.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, and cumin. Salt to taste. Cook for another 1-2 minutes while stirring.
- Fill each wrap with 8-10 spinach leaves, 1/6 of the tofu mixture, and about a tablespoon of tomatoes.
- Fold the sides in and roll up. Serve with your favorite condiment.