I will fully admit that I am a soup person. As long as it is not above 80 degrees I am willing to make a big pot of hot soup.
But it can be topped off with meat to satisfy the carnivore too.
This creamy soup will fool everyone because it doesn’t include cream. It is a basic potato soup with caramelized onions and vegetable broth.
You control the herbs and spices to your liking, so the soup can have any flavors you want it to have.
The recipe below calls for chili powder and cilantro, but other spices can be used. Curry powder and cilantro, Italian seasoning and basil or smoked paprika and parsley can be used.
The combinations are endless for this versatile soup.
My family loves this soup, but sometimes they want it as a hearty meal. I have topped it with cheddar cheese when my daughter was on a vegetarian kick.
For my husband and son, the meat lovers; they prefer the addition of crispy bacon or pieces of smoky sausage.
I have added some grilled chicken to mine to make the perfect lunch. You can also be creative and serve a potato soup bar for dinner.
Multiple toppings will make the whole entire family happy.
Invite a few vegan friends over and I know they will be impressed that you cooked dinner just for them!
Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 Olive Oil
- 0.5 Chopped Onion
- 3 Crushed Garlic
- 32 Vegetable Broth
- 6 Potato Peeled and cubed
- 1 Water Or more if necessary
- 2 Chili Powder More if desired, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Fresh Cilantro Chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Salt To taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Sauté the onions on low heat for ten minutes or until soft. Add the crushed garlic to the pot and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes, cover, turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Blend soup with immersion blender until creamy. Add water to thin out if necessary.
- Stir in chili powder and chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls garnished with chili powder and cilantro. Garnish with extra toppings if desired.