When I first saw the so-called viral TikTok yogurt toast making the rounds across my various social media algorithms I was perplexed to say the least.
Who thought to bake yogurt onto a slice of bread anyway? Surely there was no way this stuff was any good.
So obviously, as a veteran food writer and lover of all the foods, I had to give this viral TikTok recipe a try.
This TikTok custard toast creation is seemingly quite humble at first glance. Thick slices of bread are topped with a sweetened custard yogurt mixture and fresh fruit.
From there the bread gets popped into the oven and baked until everything is golden and crispy and the fruit is warmed through.
It sounds….kind of terrible, if I’m honest. I definitely did not anticipate being a fan of yogurt toast despite the scores of rave reviews on TikTok.
What is Yogurt Toast?
A recent food trend that has already racked up nearly 41 million views on TikTok and counting, yogurt toast is touted as being the healthy cheesecake of breakfast.
Using thick cut bread, you make a simple custard-like mixture with Greek yogurt and egg then add fruit before baking or popping it in your air fryer.
Of course, as with any good food trend, TikTok creators have taken en masse to creating their own versions.
Another variation from @cookingwithayeh skips the fruit in lieu of chocolate chips. I’m here for that life.
Essentially, you can mix and match flavor combinations as your heart desires and then run with it as you see fit.
Yogurt Toast Ingredients
I sifted through various versions of this viral recipe sensation and decided to keep it pretty true to what seems to be the “original” yogurt toast when making it for the first time.
The ingredients are super simple and there’s a solid chance you have all of them in your kitchen right now. Here’s how I made mine:
- Greek yogurt – I used full fat, plain Greek yogurt. I think vanilla Greek yogurt would also be a great option. You could also use a reduced fat Greek yogurt. For the purposes of consistency, you’ll definitely want to use Greek yogurt to make sure the custard filling is thick enough to not run all over, which all lends to the creamy texture.
- Egg – The egg is what makes this recipe work, in my opinion. It helps the yogurt to become custard-like and creates a thicker, creamier texture once baked.
- Honey – I sweetened my yogurt with honey and then added a drizzle of honey on top. Maple syrup would also work great, but I’d skip the drizzle.
- Bread – Generally speaking, a thicker bread like brioche or another thick cut bread, or a bread that’s a little denser such as sourdough bread will help hold the ingredients for baking. I used a thick white bread, but whole wheat would also be delicious.
- Fruit – Fresh berries and other fruits are the perfect pairing for the yogurt custard topping. I used blueberries, strawberries and sliced necatrines. There are so many great options to creat a flavor combo that you love
- Variations – While I didn’t try it this way, you could optionally add other favorite toppings of your choice. Think chia seeds, lemon zest, orange zest, ground cinnamon or even a drizzle of peanut butter.
How to Make Yogurt Toast
- In a small bowl, combine a cup of yogurt, an egg and honey, whisking until smooth.
- Use the back of a spoon to press an indentation into the center of the bread.
- Spoon the custard mixture into the center of each slice of bread.
- Top the bread with fresh fruit or other toppings.
- Bake in the oven, toaster oven or air fryer until golden brown.
The Verdict – Is Yogurt Toast a Hit?
Want to see my full review? I shared my version on Food Fanatic’s TikTok where you can get all the details. Check it out below!
@foodfanatical Try it or pass? I tested the viral yogurt toast trend! #yogurttoast #tiktokfood #viralfood ♬ Love You So – The King Khan & BBQ Show
By now you’ve probably figured it out, but yes! I am declaring yogurt toast an official hit. You can put this one of the list of recipes to try.
To validate my findings, I had a panel of four taste testers give their thoughts after trying this emerging delicacy as it came out of the oven.
My esteemed judges (ages 35, 12, 7 and 6) wasted no time declaring it utterly delicious. And then they ate all of it right up!
Somehow this simple dessert-like breakfast confection comes out perfectly crispy with a luxurious, creamy center.
Add in the soft and sweet fruit and the result is a whole lot like a fancy pastry, only so much easier and less expensive to make.
The natural sweetness from the fruit and the honey make this sweet enough to taste a bit like dessert, while still also qualifying as breakfast.
It’s an easy breakfast recipe that the whole family is honestly going to love.
So, would I make it again? Absolutely! I expect I’ll be adding this into the weekday morning breakfast routine on the regular.
- 1 Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Egg
- 2 Honey
- 4 Brioche
- 6 Strawberries sliced
- 0.5 Blueberries
- 1 Nectarine sliced
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 400°F
- Combine Greek yogurt, egg and half of the honey in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk well to combine until smooth and set aside.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Use the back of a measuring cup or a wood spoon to push an indentation into the center of each piece of bread.
- Pour the custard yogurt mixture into the center of each slice and spread around, leaving a bit of space around the edges.
- Add fruit to the top of each slice of bread – use as much or as little as you like in whatever combination you prefer.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the bread is slightly crispy and golden and the fruit has softened.
- Carefully remove from the oven then drizzle the remaining honey over the toast.
- Serve while warm.